The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) has a long history of academic exchange with Iran. The Department of Economics has played a prominent role in that exchange. Indeed, Ernest L. Bogart, the prominent Head of the Department of Economics in the 1920s and 1930s, assisted the Persian Government in 1922-23 (see below). By the 1960s, many UIUC faculty members were engaged in research on Iran and a large number Iranian students were attending the University at various levels. This led to the establishment of the University's Tehran Research Unit in 1965, which greatly facilitated exchange of faculty and students between UIUC and Iranian universities. (More information about the Tehran Research Unit can be found by clicking here.) Since that time, dozens of Iranian scholars have served as faculty members the University and have maintained the tradition of research exchange with Iran. Also, hundreds of Iranian Ph.D. students have been trained at the UIUC, including more than a dozen at the Department of Economics.
ERNEST LUDLOW BOGART
Head of the Department of Economics, UIUC, 1920-1938,
President of the American Economic Association, 1931,
Member of Persian-American Association,
Advisor to the Persian Government, 1922-23
From the Daily Illini, November 29, 1938
MEET THE FACULTY: ERNEST L. BOGART
After serving the University and his country—and even acting in an international capacity—for nearly a third of a century, Ernest L. Bogart, head of the department of economics from 1920 until the beginning of the current school year, and now professor of economics, emeritus, has retired, and, with Mrs. Bogart, is residing temporarily in New York City.
Mr. Bogart, whose notable, writings in the field of economics, are numerous and whose service to the nation has been wide and varied, assisted the Persian government in 1922-23. He was adviser on banking and currency to that Government and is credited with having aided materially in Persian monetary matters.
Born March 16, 1870 in Yonkers, N.Y., Mr. Bogart received his A.B. degree in 1890 and his A.M. degree in 1896, both from Princeton University. In 1897 he obtained his Ph.D. degree from the University of Halle, German.
Two years as an assistant professor of economic and social science at Indiana University were followed by five years service—1900-05—at Oberlin College. He then returned to his alma mater and for four years was assistant professor of economics. In 1909, he came to the University as professor of economics, a position he held until this year.
In addition to his service here, Mr. Bogart was professor of banking and finance, Georgetown School of Foreign Service, 1919-20, professor of economics, Claremont College, 1929-30 professor of economics during the summer sessions at Columbia University, University of California, University of Texas, and Southern California.
Mr. Bogart’s government service includes membership on the committee of public information, 1918, in charge of commodity studies bureau of research, War Trade Board, 1918, regional economist, foreign trade advisor, State Department, 1919-20, advisory committee, National Economic league since 1920, delegate of state department to convention of foreign trade council, 1920, advisory committee, Stable Money association since 1924, committee on monetary policy of the U. S. Chamber of Commerce, 1933, government’s commission on unemployment, 1933, and economists’ national monetary commission since 1934.
The economist is a member of the National Park Association, Econometric Society
(British), Foreign Policy Association, Persian-American Association, American
Economic Association, Phi Beta Kappa, Beta Gamma Sigma, Delta Sigma Pi, and Phi